We’re adopting! I’m sure most of you won’t be surprised to hear that we’ve taken steps towards a domestic adoption. We have so much love in our hearts, and we can’t wait to have our arms filled again with another son or daughter. There’s no replacing Clive and Winnie, but we are so ready to have children in our home. Our hearts will continue to grieve, but grief and love and hope and new life can all co-exist. Isn’t that beautiful?
We have almost finished our homestudy. It involved several day-long training sessions with our agency, lots of reading, tests, appointments, and hundreds of essay questions.
It was cumbersome, and even frustrating at times to think about what we have to do to ‘prove’ ourselves worthy of a child. But, in the end, it’s easy to understand that the agency has to very thoroughly screen all adoptive couples to make sure that they are not allowing an unstable family to adopt a child. They need to understand our upbringing, where we are in our grief, our philosophy on parenting, our expectations of adoption, and our stability in marriage, jobs, and friendships.
- The decisions we’ll be making and conversations we’ll be having to reach those decisions.
- The birth mother(s) we’ll be working with, her heart, and her decisions. It will most likely be an open adoption where we will know her and she (and possibly the birthfather) will stay a part of our child’s life.
- The child we’ll be adopting. For adjustment, health, and joy.
- That the timing of our match and placement would be right, and that it would happen this year.
- That we will not have failed matches or failed placements, so our hearts can be protected from further hurt and disappointments.
- That we will use the waiting time to prepare and grow.
- That families will come forward to foster children in our area. Our hearts are so heavy for this, but since the goal of fostering is to reunite children with their families we feel that it’s not the best situation for us right now after loss. But we see such a great need!
I’m sure that many of you will have questions, but there is not much more that we can share at this time. At this time we’re set with an agency and not actively searching for a birthmother on our own, as some couples do.
Thanks for praying.
We aren’t doing much fundraising at this time, because the amount we need to fund may depend on several factors, but I will be making and selling t-shirts that will go towards our adoption. Some will be adoption themed, and some are coffee themed (surprised?). Check out the shirts and order them here: etsy.com/shop/TreesAndFlowersCo More styles will be added soon!
I’ll share more on Facebook and Instagram if you want updates, or you can sign up for blog emails below.